Icosa Water is a statutory water and sewerage undertaker licensed by Ofwat to operate across England and Wales. We operate under the New Appointment & Variation (NAV) process, from the Water Industry Act 1991, and we compete in a heavily regulated environment.
Icosa provides domestic homes and commercial premises with water and wastewater services. We compete with other water companies, differentiating our service package by lowering costs, facilitating innovative solutions and providing exceptional customer service.
We are looking to recruit a Construction Manager to oversee a programme of water network projects on new developments. The focus is on safety, quality and time plus excellent client management.
This role is project based and the successful candidates will work on the delivery of projects from construction handover through to completion. The role will be home-based and focus on projects in a specific region. However, flexibility is essential to help deliver projects elsewhere in the UK.
The Construction Manager will be responsible for planning and managing the construction, testing and commissioning of on-site and off-site water mains and networks for new developments in strict accordance with Icosa systems, processes and controls. The Construction Manager will be responsible for:
- The safe delivery of water projects to time, quality and cost
- The management of specialist contractors to deliver the programme
- Liaising with water companies to ensure timely delivery of points of connection
- Co-ordinating off-site works with Highway Authorities and other utilities
- Developing effective relationships with client site managers and acting as a dedicated point of contact, resolving issues and proactively updating on progress.
- Working with the contractor’s and developer’s Construction Managers to develop utility sequencing program in line with site wide construction strategy
- Communicating the programme to the contractor and client teams
- Start up and ongoing site meetings incorporating progress, audit and troubleshooting
- Facilitating site progress meetings taking meeting notes and progressing actions
- Pre-vetting sites to ensure they are ready for our construction teams to attend
- Evaluating the quality of contractor construction and reporting on performance
- Undertaking quality and construction audits on assets to be adopted by Icosa.
- Ensuring all installations are compliant with the relevant Icosa standards for adoption
- Raising corrective action reports on non-compliance issues and facilitating remedials
- Inspecting and approving water design changes on site due to engineering difficulties
- Ensuring accurate as-laid records are received in a timely manner
- Ensuring that the correct materials and plant are available and suitably stored
- Ensuring coordination to minimise construction costs and maximise efficiency
- Appraising and approving contractor applications for payment
- Identifying contract scope variations and gaining client sign off to optimise commercial position
- Provide accurate quality work within the department and company
- Be readily contactable during normal hours and available for standby out of hours
- Maintain a helpful and informative work environment
- Assist the Head of Delivery in driving greater efficiency within the company
- Ensure that all relevant information is recorded accurately and submitted on time
- Comply with the latest company procedures, legislation and maintain industry skills
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by the Head
- Must hold a full valid driving licence
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Must be flexible and willing to travel to sites as required
- Health and Safety
- The Construction Manager will be responsible for overseeing Health and Safety matters relating to the construction, testing and commissioning of water networks and to:
- Ensure compliance with safe working practices and procedures throughout the construction phase and ensuring all work is completed to high quality of standards
- Coordinate and communicate site specific risk assessments, method statements and safe systems of work
- Maintain awareness of and ensure compliance with Icosa HSEQ policy, procedures and processes
- Promote a zero-harm culture on site through pro-active management of health and safety issues
- Provide supervision to ensure that Icosa assets are constructed in a safe manner
- Ensure that all contract staff able to identify and avoid hazards
- Undertake safety audits in line with Icosa Health & Safety plan
- Health & safety incident investigation and reporting
Planning and Organisation
- Take overview of work to be completed and plan relevant activities to time, in accordance with agreed programme of work
- Plan, in conjunction with the contractor to ensure that appropriate materials, plant and equipment are available to complete the job
- Ensure all material, plant and equipment procured comply with Icosa requirements and specifications
- Ensure that the assigned resources are adequate and competent to complete tasks
- Ensure clear job instructions and records are issued in a timely fashion
- Complete written risk assessments, site measurement and work record sheets
- To co-ordinate safe systems of works between different parties on site
- Ensure that all documentation is completed in a timely and accurate manner and sent to relevant stake holders
Water Quality Operations
- Carry out flushing and sampling of water mains with low turnover
- Respond to emergencies on site including third-party damage
- Approving new water main samples
- Managing Aquam metered stand-pipe contract
- Managing Arad water meter contract
- Managing water quality and operational issues on site
- Managing temporary building supply process
- Managing people and stakeholders
- Good Communication
- Experience of Working on Construction Sites
- Good Risk Assessment knowledge and application.
- Practical IT Literate- knowledge of Microsoft products essential
- The post holder must have significant experience and/or qualifications as well as having a working knowledge of current Legislation, Technical Standards & Specifications, Codes of Practice and Recommendations relating to water distribution systems. They must also have a working knowledge of the other utilities to enable safe and efficient management of network construction.
- The post holder should preferably have NCO3 (water) qualifications and have experience of supervising teams and leading teams.
In addition to this the incumbent should preferably currently hold the following:
- NRSWA supervisory card
- Relevant SHEA card
- CSCS registration