icosawater movinghome people

Maldon Road, Burnham-on-Crouch

We supply your water.  Your wastewater is supplied by Northumbrian Water

This section is for customers who have recently moved into a property at Maldon Road, Burnham-on-Crouch

If you are unsure whether we provide your Water services, you can give our Billing Team a call on 0333 00 0113. 

Below you will find some frequently asked questions. 

What service do you provide to my home? 

We provide water services to your home.

We own and maintain the network of water mains serving your home.  

What will I be charged?

We review our prices every year and produce a leaflet, which we issue with our bills, detailing our services to you and our charges.  You can download our current charges for your area here.


We’ll send your bill out bi-annually and you can choose from a variety of payment methods. 

Problem with your water?

There are a number of different problems that can affect your water supply, including low water pressure, leaks and water quality. You can find out more by visiting our Help & Advice section. 

If you have no water, please call us on 0330 111 2014. 

Did you know…
We’re responsible for making sure you have cold water at the boundary of your property.  If it’s only your hot tap that is affected it’s likely to be a plumbing issue and we’re sorry we can’t help with this – you’ll need to contact an approved plumber. 

Register with Icosa